Why Join Professional Photographers of California?
Professional Photographers of California provides a network for Professional Photographers to interact, exchange ideas, educate and empower themselves. By taking advantage of all available PPC educational tools, you can develop critical skills that will enable you to achieve career success. The benefits of being a Member of the Professional Photographers of California are many, and continue to expand.
- Pro Photo Expo & Conference: Member discount for full registration to the annual Pro Photo Expo. This is the best photography conference on the West Coast. Pro Photo Expo includes three days of programs, events, trade show, social gatherings and hundreds of images on display to inspire you. Premium Professional Members get FREE full registration.
- West Coast School of Professional Photography: One of the finest photographic schools in the nation, West Coast School, is held annually at the beautiful campus of the University of San Diego and includes five days of education with some of the nation’s top educators. This is a chance to receive cutting edge information, re-charge your creative juices, network with other photographers and pick the brains of all instructors in an atmosphere of learning, social events and incredible architecture. Receive special PPC Member pricing.
- Annual Image Competition: The best way to improve your craft is by competing in the Annual Image Competition. Your images will be judged and critiqued by experienced Professional Photographers of America qualified judges. There are many different award possibilities. Professional Photographer of California’s Photographer of the Year is a highly respected award. To win this award, a photographer must have the highest case score of all their entered prints! Awards are presented for the “Top 10 Photographers” along with the “PPC Photographer of the Year” in sixteen different categories. Also awarded are the Kodak Gallery Award, and Judge’s Choice. Members interested in pursuing the California Master Degree can receive merits to accumulate towards the degree in this competition and the cost of the competition is very reasonable compared to what other associations charge.
- California Fundays: Programs on posing, lighting, pets, seniors, Photoshop, Lightroom and more, all in or near your hometown. Receive special PPC Member pricing.
- Camp Certification: Being a designated Certified Professional Photographer offers clients an assurance, not just of quality, but of technical skill and artistic expertise. As a member of PPC, you are welcome to cram and take the exam for the PPA Certification exam at no additional cost (except for the cost of the exam itself). The PPC Camp Certification is a 1 and 1/2 day program designed to help you get ready for Certification testing, and take the test if you wish. You must be a PPA Member to apply for certification.
- RoadShows: The quarterly experience brings education, socializing, networking, mentoring and fun to the Board Meeting weekends. RoadShows include: Saturday ShootAround with planned no-host dinner gathering in the evening; free Sunday evening social gathering with dinner, mini-program, entertainment and surprises; along with other happenings, creating an awesome quarterly experience! Everyone is invited to participate in the RoadShow events – you don’t have to be a PPC Member to attend.
- Business and Arts Degree: The Photographic Business and Arts Degree was established by PPC to encourage members to continue their professional education and to recognize those members who have completed the educational requirements for the government accredited degree. Previous education can be used to start off this degree.
- California Master Degree: A combination of professional photographic excellence, knowledge and other skills is required to earn this prestigious designation. A true confirmation of your commitment to your profession.
- Find a Photographer Referral Program: Prospective buyers of photography can access our Find a Photographer directory of PPC Members. Referrals to PPC Members in their area let prospective clients know that they will be dealing with a business with integrity, ethical practices, creativity and the passion to produce the image the client wants.
- Service Medallion: The PPC Service Award is designed to recognize members who are active within the organization. It is achieved by earning Merits doing work that provides a service to our association and to the photographic community. The silver Service Medallion may be worn at all photographic functions and while making presentations. This Award is designed to demonstrate to your peers and customers your expertise and efforts to improve your profession. In other words, it can be used as a real marketing tool for your business. Your clients will be impressed by your achievement on the State level! Once you have earned 25 service merits you will receive the silver Service Medallion at the annual PPC Awards event.
- Member Recognition: When you become involved in PPC and earn awards and/or degrees, a press release is furnished to you for submission to your local newspaper for publication. Participation and accomplishment at the State level validates your professionalism in your own community.
- Privilege of Using PPC Logo: As a PPC Member, you have the privilege of using the PPC name, logo and your Membership as a marketing tool to set your business apart from amateurs in your area.
- Bi-monthly Pro Photo West Newsletter: E-mailed bi-monthly to PPC Members. Full of images, articles and “how-to’s” from top educators and fellow PPC Members.
- Image Judging Academy: Learn what judges look for in images to help you improve your image quality.
- Annual PPC Family Retreat: A destination retreat for PPC Members and their families. A great opportunity to network, learn and grow by spending one-on-one time with other PPC Family Members in an awe-inspiring destination location.
- Networking: Numerous networking opportunities are available throughout the year through the various activities of PPC.
- Mentoring: Experience growth through mentoring from fellow PPC Members and in return, you will inspire others. Reap the benefits of personal growth and empowerment!
- Up To The Minute Breaking News of PPC Events: Keep abreast of all the latest news and happenings of PPC: On PPC Facebook Page “Like” us at Professional Photographers of California; follow us on Twitter @ Pro Photogs of CA; and watch us on YouTube @ ProPhotographersCA Channel.
- Local PPC Affiliates: Local Affiliates provide a personal forum for members to share ideas, experiences and resources. They bring you access to programs which will help enrich the breadth and depth of your professional knowledge in areas of business operations, promoting and marketing your photography and the latest technological advances in our industry. Local Affiliates typically meet once each month. Visit our Affiliate page to find the meeting date, time and location of the Affiliate nearest you.
- Corporate Sponsors: Shop our Corporate sponsors for quality products to help make your business successful.
- PPC Travel Site: PPC Members take advantage of significant savings on flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises and vacations by using PPC Travel for all your needs.
- Awards: In addition to the Service Award mentioned, many other awards of recognition are presented to deserving PPC Members annually. For a detailed listing of Awards, click on the “Awards” tab of this Membership page.
- Quarterly Affiliate & Board Meetings: Conducting the business of PPC, these meeting locations alternate between Northern and Southern California. The 2017 schedule is posted.
- Members Only Access: PPC Members have exclusive access to downloadable .pdf files, providing the ability to educate themselves about PPC and its inner-workings, while taking advantage of various valuable business forms, tips, savings and educational materials.
- Access to all PPC Officers, Staff & Committee Chairs: PPC Members have one-on-one access to all PPC Officers and Staff, the Executive Administrator and Committee Chairs.
- Transparency in all PPC Business Matters: Minutes from all PPC meetings, the approved budget and Treasurer’s Report are available to Members for download at any time.